Chapter 1

When people ask how I met you, I like to answer with "online." Although that's the simplified answer, it's the truth. The long answer, we met through an app called Whisper. If you've never used Whisper it's a confession app. People post about anything and everything there. Me? I was posting about my relationship life, or lack of one probably. I don't remember what the confession was that got us talking, probably something along the lines of "just a nice girl looking for a nice guy." You say that you messaged first, although I beg to differ. That's something we still disagree about to this day.
We didn't message long before you mentioned dinner. Applebee's for wings. But instead of meeting at the restaurant, you wanted to meet in a parking garage. I was skeptical, to say the least. You wanted to meet there because there were cameras so my car wouldn't get stolen or something like that. And while the cameras made me feel a little better, the whole thing was weird. You were persistent, and eventually, I said yes.
It was a cool day in December, but the snow hadn't fallen yet. Which is weird for Wisconsin, but hey global warming. As usual, I told my roommates where I was going. It was our "protocol" for first online dates. Who you're meeting, where you're going, and license plates if you can get them - you know, just in case.
As I drove to the Walmart parking garage in my Jeep Liberty, some mundane song playing on the radio, my nerves didn't settle.
"I'm here, in section M," I messaged you.
"Ok, I'm in section K working on my car." Oh god, one of those guys I thought as I literally rolled my eyes. As I pulled my Jeep around I saw him. He was wearing a leather jacket, jeans, and a beanie - to be honest, he kinda looked like a thug. He was detailing his car as I walked up.
"Hi, I'm Molly," I said.
He turned away from his car, "Nic"
And that was the beginning.

As we drove to Applebees in his Acura, he started to smoke. And being a nursing student, that wasn't too appreciated. It wasn't just a cigarette or two either, it was probably more than half a pack throughout the night, enough to give me a headache that's for sure. Although annoying, I learned to live with that habit. One basket of wings for you, one for me. I remember ordering the kind with some spice. And I also remember me finishing off my basket while you didn't. You ordered a drink, I ordered a soda. You left once to check your car, you were gone long and I realized it was to also take a smoke break. But overall it was a nice dinner.

Everyone thinks it's weird to meet your significant other's parents. Well, how about meeting them the day of your first date? Although he was 26, Nic still lived with his parents. Saving money or something like that. I didn't care, I'd be living with mine if I was out of college. I met his parents because he said that if I'm going to see the night they should know who's staying. Thank God I thrive in awkward situations.

But it wasn't meeting your parent's I remember. It was the bonfire in your backyard. You would later call that night "the single most impactful, special, and beautifully innocent thing that has ever happened to you," despite having many bonfires before. And I didn't know it at the time, but that one date changed my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomi Lahren Speaks with Trevor Noah

Things that Should be Left Behind in 2020

My Journals