My Perfect Imperfections

One YouTube, I watched Jenn Im's My Perfect Imperfections Tag. 

The Imperfections

  • My Uneven Eyelids - I'm Chinese American and I have monolids. And my monolids themselves, I've never had a problem with. I've never looked at my eyes and thought, "it'd be nice if I had a crease." Or, "I need eyelid surgery." But the fact that my eyelids were uneven got very apparent when I started to wear makeup in college. Specifically, it's easier to see the lash line on the _ eye, which means I need more eyeliner on my other eye to make them look even. 
  • My Body (Calves and Arms) - I am not very tall. I like to say I'm 5'2" on a good day. Some people who are shorter are proportionally petite. I am not. I was actually supposed to be taller but once I got my first period that stunted my growth. I think if I grew to the height I was "supposed" to be, my arms and legs would look proportionate. My arms just don't look as toned as I want them too and my calves are pretty big. 
  • My Skin - Like many girls I get hormonal acne. And it's not even the acne that bothers me, but more so the fact that it leaves behind hyperpigmentation. And I have a tendency to pick at the acne that's there. So there are some scars and pox marks on my face as well. The scars aren't terrible, but between that, inflammation, hyperpigmentation, and my hormonal acne I just know my face isn't perfect. 

The Perfections 

  • My Lips - When I was in grade school we did a project where classmates would outline our profile. At the time my classmates made fun of my "fish lips". However I've grown to love my lips. They are nice and full and the perfect size to me.
  • My Body (Curves) - My curves make me feel sexy and beautiful. Especially my legs. From playing tennis, I consider my legs the strongest part of my body. So although my calves are big, they also add to my curves. 
  • My Ears - This is a weird one, but the story goes back to childhood. I was adopted from China, and my parents always tell me this story. The TLDR version is when my dad first saw me, he said "looks like a car with doors wide open." Basically he was referring to my windy ears. Some people may refer to them as "dumbo" ears or, as my boyfriend calls them "yoda" ears. Basically, they protruded out. I got surgery to correct them in grade school and I remember saying how I liked my ears (well mainly my parents will say that's what I said). But my parent's were thinking of the future and decided to go ahead with the surgery.  I still remember wearing the wrap to keep my ears in place post-surgery. Looking back, I'm glad I got the surgery.
  • My Mind - I've always prided myself on my intelligence. I only got one B in high school (thanks AP Physics) and I graduated from college with a BSN Magna Cum Laude. I consider myself a life long learner. I was always the one to share my notes, tutor other students, and lead study sessions. When I was in school going into a test, my dad would say, "if I had anyone's brain during the test, I'd want yours." So if you have any good book suggestions, I'm all ears!
I hope you take a minute to reflect and I'd love to hear your perfect imperfections. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomi Lahren Speaks with Trevor Noah

Things that Should be Left Behind in 2020

My Journals